In-Home/Studio Student Policy
Schoolofmusic.com teachers have traveled to students' homes and provided lessons in their studios since 1997. Our student policy encourages consistency of lessons, while providing the flexiblity for cancellations to occur as needed.
- Our tuition system is designed to allow unlimited credits for absences, provided 24 hrs notice is given to the teacher, and the lesson will not be made-up.
- Conversely, if the student wishes to pay for only the anticipated number of lessons each month, the net effect evens out over time.
- Lessons are billed in advance, and by the month. This allows us to pay our teachers on a timely basis.
- With the possible exception of the first invoice, students will receive their monthly statement on, or about, the 15th for the following month's lessons.
- Payment is due by the 1st. Accounts fall past due on the 11th and are assessed a $10 late fee.
Your first invoice
- Your first invoice will be for a full or partial month, depending upon when the lessons begin. Invoices generally are mailed prior to the first meeting.
- After the initial lesson, if you choose not to proceed, there will be a charge only for the first session.
- If lessons begin in the last half of a month, the first invoice will include the initial, partial month as well as the following month's tuition.
In order to ensure progress, continuity is important. A regular and predictable income is also important to our instructors. We encourage you to be consistent in your lesson schedule.
- If an absence is necessary, a 24-hour notice is required for a make-up or credit. We suggest that you attempt to make up the lesson. If that is not possible, simply deduct the per lesson fee shown on your statement, include the date of the absence, or anticipated absence on your invoice and return it with your payment.
- If you pay online, simply reduce your payment by the amount of the missed lesson(s). We will match it with your instructor's attendance report and credit your account accordingly.
- Please do not deduct for lessons that will be made up.
- If you believe that your account has been not been credited accurately, please contact us immediately with the date of the missed lesson. Credits will not be processed for lessons which are in question for more than 3 months past.
- If a student elects to take a break in lessons for more than one month and wishes to remain on their teacher's schedule, they can continue to pay tuition during their absence to reserve their spot.
In some cases, rather than missing a lesson altogether, we suggest that you arrange an online lesson (via smartphone or laptop) with your instructor. This option is not intended to replace traditional instruction, but is a viable alternative when inclement weather or other variables interrupt the regular lesson schedule. Online lessons are billed at the same rate as the student's normal lesson.
Schoolofmusic.com tuition is billed at the same rate each month. Regardless of the day of your lessons (e.g. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,etc.) you will have 5 lesson days in each of 4 months and 4 lesson days in the other 8 months. We multiply the lesson rate by 52 weeks and divide by 12 months to get an average monthly rate that is the same every month. This provides the following benefits: Parents and adult students may want to arrange automated payments, since the tuition is the same each month. We substantially reduce our bookkeeping costs by only adjusting for exceptions (e.g. absences, lesson length).
We offer a choice of e-mail billing or billing by mail. Selecting this option alters only the method of delivery for the invoice. To change the way that you receive your invoices or to order return envelopes call or send an e-mail to Stephanie Buttler, student services director, at:
Termination of Lessons
We hate to see you go, but if you choose to discontinue lessons, please note that 2 weeks paid notice is required.